Eastern Counties Motor Club was formed in the early 1950’s by a group of keen enthusiasts wishing to use their road cars for sport. We became known for the Motor Racing we organised and started this at Fersfield near Diss. We were the first club to run a proper race meeting at Snetterton, when it was just an airfield.
There were a lot of redundant airfields at that time and we made full use of them for Sprints and Driving Tests too but racing was our main objective. In fact our major Saloon Car race was the first of what became the British Saloon Car Championship, later to become the BTCC, the most hotly contested national race series.
Our membership has produced many international competitors including Archie Scott-Brown, Jack Sears ( Racing ) and Don and Erle Morley, Valerie Domleo, Pat Ozanne and many others from Rallying.
In fact a great many well-known national names began their motor sport careers as new members of ECMC. Meanwhile we try to encourage as many new entrants as possible to our sport and regard the club as the ideal starting point. We are recognised as being innovative in what we do and always seek to find new ways to promote entry-level motor sport.
We were the initiators of Anglia Motor Sport Club, a club of clubs to allow free competition across East Anglia. We one of the first to develop venue shares to keep costs affordable and one of the first to use Taster Permits from the MSA to give newcomers a chance to try what we do before committing themselves to membership and expense.
Membership of Eastern Counties MC, apart from making you a member of the most established club in the East, gives you:
- Membership of a recognised MSUK club with properly organised events.
- Membership for all members of the family provided they have the same home address.
- Membership of Anglia Motor Sport Club so that you can take part in other AMSC clubs’ events and be registered in their Challenge Series automatically.
- A periodic newsletter.
- A varied sporting and Classic calendar and a monthly social meet for a chat about anything.
- A wealth of experience from competitors from all disciplines of Motor Sport all freely given to encourage new-comers.
- A membership card to demonstrate membership to the organisers of other events.
- Membership of a recognised MSUK club which is your portal to getting your RS Clubmans License, or an MSUK Competitions License when you wish to take part in higher level activities.
All for £10.00 per year!